Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

The White Yak

How stunning is this shop sign?!
I was delighted to have a personal tour of The White Yak while I was in Kathmandu, just a short walk from the famous Boudha Stupa in the northeast corner of the Kathmandu Valley. 
Before traveling, I had viewed the inventory online, familiarizing myself with the product. I met one of the business owners who showed me into their showroom and explained the varying pieces. I had seen the striped fabric running down the middle of each bag in pictures, but I had no idea what it meant. The woman showing me around referred to it as the "pangden" design. I shook my head. What does that mean? 


"The pangdens are designed, handwoven, and worn by the women of each Himalayan ethnic group. Each pangden possesses distinct characteristics to communicate the woman's marital status and place of origin."


I'm a visual learner and love pictures, maps, and lots of details. They did a beauitful job on their website giving credit to each artisan, sharing facts and history. Their are five artisan stories, here are three of them to check out-


I shared in my last post Journey to a Tibetan refugee camp about the shame I felt at my own ignorance regarding Tibetan refugees. Well, I decided I could either wallow and hide in that, gaining nothing, or I could humble myself and be like a sponge, soaking in all I could in my last two days in Boudha. This was as beautiful way to wrap up my second to last day in Nepal, being surrounded by completely new/ foreign concepts (to me) about this incredible people group. 

Discover more of The White Yak's story

Follow them on Facebook and Instagram
You can purchase your own crafted leather piece here in the USA at Urban Dwellers and The Two Thirteen Shop


Blessed Hope Nepal also makes a beautiful Pangden line of bracelets and necklaces.


Sewing the liner for the Carry All bag

Putting adhesive on the leather straps before they are sewn on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment