Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Latest On My Mom- Post-Op

Earlier today my Mom said she was going to read the "latest" on my blog... I told her that there wasn't. I hadn't posted anything in the two weeks since she came home. 

It has been a busy and crazy two weeks around here. The first week she returned home from her surgery (one week post-op) was insane with home care visits, meds round the clock at least every 3 hours, maintaining a house and feeding 6 people, chasing a toddler and caring for my Mom. 

As I talked about here, the anticipation leading up to her surgery was much like what I experienced pre-op with my own child just two months earlier. And can I tell you something else? The anxiety/ stress/ anticipation AFTER my Mom's surgery, during her (unfortunately longer than expected) week stay at the hospital and then that first week having her home was so much more emotionally invading than I would have imagined. I thought, "I have done this before with Abigail, I can do it again." The reality is, it was much like my own kid having surgery. I couldn't sleep at night, I'd wonder if my Dad woke up to give her her meds, I'd worry that I forgotten to put out some of her meds and I would lay awake in bed wondering if she was sleeping through the night or waking up in pain. 

This lady has gone through the fire with her surgery and recovery. 

Abigail brought drinks outside for her and Mimi and held her hand to "help" her walk around the yard!

When we took her home just two weeks ago she could hardly walk 5 feet to her hospital bathroom, needing the assistance of a walker while she gasp for breath in the midst of shooting pain. She is still suffering from pain and other frustrations that will subside in time, but seriously I am amazed. 

The recovery is predicted to take 4-6 months, and while she feels like she takes 2 steps forward then 1 step back, she really is making incredible progress. We have been so blessed by the counter-top full of cards she has received, several bouquets of flowers and the 8 meals that were brought to us over just 11 days during that critical time when we first got her home. We are thankful for community, for our families and friends and even strangers. THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment