Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

How Her Garden Grows

This is our 3rd summer gardening. 

Year #1- in pots at our apartment. (a very small garden)

Year #2- we dug out a small 5 X 5 plot in our yard at the apartment and grew some snap peas, winter squash, sunflowers. 
I planted an assortment of beans, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, flowers at my parents house in their old gardens we used growing up.

Year #3- all of my gardening was done at my parents house. What wasn't planted in May... well just didn't get planted. Some things like green beans, kale, misc lettuces, herbs went into the garden. 

Then my Dad cut down a ton of trees because they were blocking out the sunlight. 
He built up a big dirt wall for privacy... it was ugly. 
So I planted corn and sunflowers along the top and an entire packet of winter squash all in the hill. 
Then my Mom planted wild flower seeds.
And my Dad planted our tomato, pepper and eggplant plants along the bottom. 

It was neglected during the months of June and July and grew like the wild does. The weeds that is. 
The plants grew too. But some of these pictures are AFTER weeding began. We were ripping up weeds 1/4 - 1/2 inch in diameter and as tall as I am! It was insane.

While my Dad is pulling up what I thought was a bush he planted (ahem, no. It was WEEDS) he said
"These weeds are like sin. They have grown so tall and even pretty looking that you can't even recognize which are the plants and which are the weeds."
AMEN. 

We are joyfully weeding the heck out of our hill. It's like the opposite of that British movies title "The man who went up a hill and came down a mountain." This was a mountain of weeds. Now that they are almost gone, the hill seems rather small. 

I have learned a few things about weeds
a) keep up with it
b)  it is a great total body work out, especially doing it on an incline!

Abigail helping me plant green beans that we are now eating!
Tomatoes and winter squash

Eggplant

LOTS of butternut squash

Our hill of a garden

a 5-headed sunflower!! Woweee!
Weeding... a few months too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment