Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Who Is He?

I have been caring for children my whole life. I was 7 when my first nephew, now 18 years old, was born. I carried him around like I carried my dolls. By age 12, I was getting paid to baby-sit peoples children. At 25 years old, married and with a daughter of my own, I still baby-sit and get paid to watch peoples kids.



Baby-sitting/ nannying/ child care isn't just a means of extra income to me. It is an opportunity to minister to kids and love on them. Ever since I was 12, I have kept my routine tucking in kids, singing a song and praying with them. Most of my life, I baby-sat for families from church, but now it is all from reference.

Maybe my routine sounds normal to you. Maybe you are a bit stuck by one thing I just said, perhaps even offended.
 I pray with these kids.
I pray over them as I tuck them in. Out loud, so they hear it.

Several months ago now, as I tucked in a sweet elementary aged boy, he asked a very simple question. After I prayed for him he asked,
 "Who is Jesus and why do you want me to know him?"

When I first met these kids I mentioned something about my church and they asked, "What is church?" I knew then that they had no knowledge of Christ and my prayers became a little more specific. It goes something like this "... Jesus I pray that ____ may know your love and that he may come to know you one day..."

These kids don't know the Gospel, but they know me and I pray for them even when I am not tucking them in at night. I pray that these precious moments when I pray over them may be stored in their hearts and that it might create a desire in them to learn who Jesus is.

Hey, it's been a year and I haven't been fired yet.

Luke 18:16
But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment