Pages

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Dinadi- Know your knitter

How fun and festive is this! I had the joy of shopping at their Open House. 

"Dinadi is a social business in Nepal that ethically hand crafts knitted and crocheted products while changing lives through dignified jobs."

Just a few weeks before I left for Nepal, I stumbled upon this business via Instagram. Yup, Instagram. I sent the info@ address an e-mail explaining my trip and my hope to come meet them in person and learn the behind the scenes story. I was surprised when I received a timely response! I mean honestly, it sounds a little creepy to send a business an email that essentially says "I found you online. I'd like to meet you in person... half way around the world." But those of you who know me... well, you probably aren't too surprised. We had mutual friends, I confirmed with them and went with my gut.

Less than 24 hours after I had arrived in the country, I hailed a taxi and negotiated on a price to take me to the shop. It was a whirlwind. The taxi driver made a big circle 30 minutes into our drive and declared that he was lost. I handed him my phone as I called a coffee shop that neighbored Dinadi and asked for directions.

Upon arriving at the shop for their Open House, I didn't know what to expect. I adored their website, Instagram, Facebook, product style. In person I LOVED their product, store layout and decor, the owners, and learning more of the inside story on this 1 1/2 year old business.

A tagline from their website reads-
"We believe in jobs that empower, not exploit."

I was so impressed by Dinadi's classy business style and products that reflect excellence. When I learned that this product isn't in any stores on the East Coast of the USA, my thought was "this needs to change!"
I LOVE their display! If you find yourself in Kathmandu, stop by their store, tell them Karissa says hi! 

You see, the greater the demand for a product means an increase in production, which increases employment, and in this business model, that means more lives being changed, impacted for good and dignity being restored to women as they join the team at Dinadi. 

How beautiful is that?

Dinadi didn't pay me to write anything about them. I personally gain nothing from you too becoming enthralled with the beautiful products that they create and the business model they follow. I would love to see Dinadi gain more wholesale accounts. Let's spread the word!

Each purchase we make in our every day living
 and gift buying supports something. 
What will you choose to support?

I adored so many things about the tasteful decor in this second floor store, above a coffee shop. Seeing photos of the artisans pinned up made me stop and linger over each photo. Thanks to Dinadi, these women have trusted employer with unparalleled benefits!


Follow Dinadi here-
Facebook
Instagram

These are three links to my favorite pages on their website-
Our Team
People Impact
Nepal Impact

I'm sporting the Marit Headband in charcoal grey. Jakob is wearing a hat that I crochet for him before I left for Nepal. I brought a few sets of pom-pom makers to the team at Dinadi. Abby and I had fun trying them out before I left!



Craig is sporting the Emma Hat in pebble grey. Abby is wearing an exclusive style that is not available for retail. 


No comments:

Post a Comment