Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Listeners and Watchers

From time to time it hits me again.
We are being watched. 
People are listening and watching what we do.

It's a bit overwhelming when I'm already feeling maxed out 
and my child is behaving poorly, requiring discipline.

Sometimes it's the last thing I want to think about when sleep has been less and less 
and the anxiety only has been heightened. 
Whatever the season and whatever the trial, it is unavoidable. 

People are watching and listening. 
These kids are watching and listening.


I know my neighbors have heard me through my open window when I've raised my voice and my friends and family aren't deaf to when I have spoken in sin. (Oh, how I wish I could say I have mastered my own tongue!)

We each have influence. From what we post on facebook, to how we portray ourselves in public, the way we dress and how we speak. And while I am learning not to hate on myself during those trying times when I know people are seeing how weary I am, I want to be real too. The trials I face, the hardships our family goes through are real- we aren't super-human and we don't have it all together.

We sure are thankful for Jesus and the hope we have in Him, and for the sacrifice of His life on the cross offering redemption.

So, whether you are a Christ- Follower or not, who do you have influence over in your life and what do you want to instill into them?

Our kids look to us as heroes.

Being in leadership (or the spouse of someone in that position), you bet you have influence. If that is your husband speaking and leading, don't think for one second that the spotlight isn't on you as well.

And for those who aren't under that kind of heat of direct light, how can you offer grace to them? I have been guilty of thinking "so and so does this or that, so it's okay if I do too." Right or wrong, they are human and holding someone in that regard isn't fair.

Maybe you don't have kids and aren't in leadership and feel like you don't have influence. Where could you have influence? Maybe you do and just don't recognize it yet. Maybe you need to look outside of your life and discover where you can have influence. After all, we are ALL created in God's image and we have great meaning and purpose because HE created us, and He created us on purpose, for a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment